Friday 13 May 2011

Rome Part 4 the foreboding of defeat.....

Ohhhhhhhhhhh jeeeeeeeeeez!!!   Yep more T.

Welly well, Novak Djokovic cannot stop winning just now, that's another one under his belt (he must need some big belt by now!!!!).  As he has just blown the World No.5 Robin Soderling off the court in straight sets 6-3, 6-0, a quite convincing defeat.  To be fair to Robin the outcome was probably also not helped by the fact he had sustained a leg injury during play in the second set, but it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to the outcome.

So that's Djokovic through to the semis and Andy Murray awaits him.  The funny thing about this tournament is there has been a lot of rematches from previous grand slam events with different players, Schiavone vs Stosur, Li Na potentially vs Wozniacki, and now Andy vs Novak.  After tonight's performance I'm starting to grow more doubtful that Andy can pull through this one.  But in all honesty he is a much better player than Robin Soderling is, and he is capable of beating Djokovic, but not right now, the guy is just too good.  But I sincerely hope the best for Andy tomorrow and hope he can push Djokovic as far as he can.  The dangerous thing with Djoko now is, the more he plays on each surface, the quicker he can adapt to it, which means it'll be quicker for him to finish off matches.  But rewatching the Australian Open footage of the final, I actually thought Andy didn't play at all badly, the first set showed great promise, and in the second he lost the plot, but in the third he pulled it back a bit.  But what he needs is his absolute best form tonight, of the world tour finals Nadal match quality, but inconsistent sums up Murray lately, and Djokovic has been nothing but consistent.

However it all remains to be seen but I don't see the young Scot pulling through this one, or if he does I'd be very very impressed.  But if he can at least take a set off him, it would make for a very impressive result too.  Andy has said in interview he feels he is confident for tomorrow and he thinks he can beat Djokovic, but there is a big difference between thinking it and doing it.  Ah well, time will tell.   

Either way I think it will be a very intruiging (and potentially very frustrating, infuriating and disappointing) and perhaps just maybe the match of the tournament, or just another Djokovic demolition and total wash out.  I'm out to see Rush at the SECC tomorrow so I'll checking the results on my phone furiously (and probably getting annoyed, frustrated, deflated and just maybe excited in between songs lol!).  In fact I'm glad I will be out as if I saw it at home I'd be just a bag of nerves!  But I do sense something different this time, I might be totally wrong here, but I don't think its going to be a pushover for Djoko, I just don't.   

In fact a wee paragraph about Rush, one of the best rock bands that came out of Canada or anywhere else.  This will be the third time I will have seen them play at the SECC, and every time their shows are great, which feature a nice mix of animation and great lighting effects (not to mention some vending machines or washing machines in the background, yes those crazy Canadians and their sense of humour!!).  Rush's music has always been second to none and they have over 20 albums out so plenty to choose from.  Perhaps the only bad thing about them is the amount they charge for each ticket!! (£45-60 coh!!).  But I'm looking forward to seeing them play for sure.  I will try and smuggle in my camera so plenty of high quality pics can be taken, cos my mobile phone isn't too great for that!  Also I will post up an entry on the blog about them.

And also I will post up another entry on the Doctor Who Mannequin mania box set which I hope I will get in the post tomorrow (yeah c'mon the post!) as it features the double bill of Jon Pertwee's first and fifth stories, Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons.  Both of the stories features the creepy plastic baddies, the autons (with their concealed hand guns, i.e. their hand drops out to reveal the gun!) as well as the introduction of the Doctor's arch nemesis, the Master.  It will also feature a generous collection of extras documentaries and commentaries etc.  The great thing about the DVDs of the old Doctor Who series is that the documentaries for each tend to be great, with plenty of good interviews from the cast and crews.  It is also amusing to see just how old some of the cast members have got also.

On a sad note on Doctor Who, earlier this year saw the passing away of two of Doctor Who's most memorable actors Elisabeth Sladen (as Sarah Jane Smith) and Nicholas Courtney who played Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart.  So its quite poignant when you hear them on recorded DVD commentaries, to know they've passed away since then is a shame, as well as the likes of Barry Letts former producer and director David Maloney.

But anyway despite that cheery note I'll look forward to getting the box set, and yes as I said a blog entry will be up about it soon enough, as it has been tennis overload of late and more of that to follow.

And back to that quickly, predictions for tomorrow: Djokovic will win in 3 sets (hopefully pushed very far!!! Or just a straight set destruction, but hope not!!).

On the woman side of the tour: Wozniacki and well Sam Stosur got through, and wow is she playing well just now!

And to win the titles: Probably Stosur because she is really on form and most likely Djokovic, but I want revenge for Rafa!!!

And on that note, tttttthat's alll!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment