Saturday 11 June 2011

Back to the drawing board

Ahh welly well, that's my apprenticeship program over with the firm Whitebox Digital.  The program lasted 6 months and that's it done and dusted, and unfortunately despite the promise of placements to gain work experience, it hasn't worked out once again as the staff started looking for the placements too late.

The Whitebox staff had actually started the placement search about 8 weeks before the end of the course, which frankly wasn't enough time to secure amy placements for people.  Although they were successful in placing some people in business placements they were not so lucky in the IT front as there were very few companies that would take people on.   Again it made me annoyed at the lack of organisation in the company as surely they must have known if they wanted to secure placements for the apprentices then they should have started much earlier back in January or February for example.  But as usual this wasn't taken into account, perhaps in their offices setup in England they don't have the same problem in recruitment and placing people, as there are more jobs down that way than there are here.

So that's me back to square one looking for jobs and back on the dole, which isn't a very good prospect, but its one that'll have to do for now.  Hopefully I can't something if not soon then not before too long.  Although the other day while I was on the phone to the dole making a new claim I received another call from an agency regarding an IT job applied for, but I couldn't hang up on the dole call so I had to tell the agency to call me back, but they didn't bother, so that scuppered that one.  These people really know how to phone at the most inopportune moments!!  But anyway not too bothered, these posts are usually oversubscribed with people so I didn't rate my chances.  The bottom line with IT posts is the employers always look for people with experience, none of them can actually be bothered to take the time to train them, perhaps on a voluntary basis it would be possible to gain work experience, so that's definitely an avenue I should look into.

But hey ho I could see this coming far enough, to be fair Whitebox did keep me in employment for 6 months and allowed me to update my qualifications and refresh my IT knowledge, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.  However they have left me without the crucial work experience, so its back to the easel to do some sketching.

And on that rather disappointing note I'll leave it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment