Friday 2 December 2011

Back to square one

Well I haven't said too much lately on a personal level, but I will be careful about what I say here and say a bit about my first week at work, which has been somewhat stressful to say the least.  Last week I got word of my new job with Teleperformance who have contracts with various call centers, such as JD Williams, Argos and Virgin Media.

I went up for a tech support post with Virgin media and I ended up actually getting a job through them except it was for another branch of Virgin, it was called Radial Point, where they deal with customers computer problems via a remote assistance connection, and log chats like Windows messenger.  But they also deal with customers over the phone, although they said this, they implied that the customer contact would be rare, but of course it turned out to be quite the opposite, as their agents can take many calls a day, some of them go on for anything up to 8 hours!  So when I saw the amount of multi-tasking and work juggling involved, I have to say it panicked me and seriously put me off the job.  And last night I came home pretty upset about the whole situation, realising I didn't want to work in such a pressured environment.  But I guess all these helpdesk centre places are all the same, its just a way of scaring their employees into doing an efficient job, but I don't think it will inspire confidence into anyone, it certainly didn't with me.

So today I decided to call Teleperformance and let them know I no longer wish to work for them, as I felt the job wasn't for me, and left it at that.  And while I'm relieved of course, I am also back to looking for work again, it also means that I can no longer be elligible for the training for work program I was doing before for the Windows 7 course (although I can still complete it).  But it does mean I no longer need to trek to Airdrie at hugely unsociable hours and come home stressed out my coupon.  It was a shame that I choose to apply for the job in the first place, as I should have went with my initial instinct and not bothered applying, as I have always steered clear of call centres in the past, and I should have done the same here.  And it has also messed up my benefits with the jobcentre so it is back to the beginning, with signing on again, not too good a prospect, but I'll keep looking for work in the meantime, so what's done is done.  But for me personally I don't regret leaving Teleperformance behind. 

I also will part company with a certain chappie whom I won't mention their name, who was with me at my Windows 7 course in Cambuslang as well as at Teleperformance.  This guy, on the Windows 7 course pretty much managed to piss off everyone on the course as well as the tutor, and I am wondering if he will do the same thing in this job.  For his sake he better not because if he does, he will not last 5 minutes in the place (or maybe just 5 minutes more than I have!).  Anyway I will not say much more on it than that, just in case someone is reading this.....

Anyhoww while its not the cheeriest of posts, thought I'd put it on, so I'll leave it at that, and start anew looking for something else. :-)

More posts will follow on some better subjects than this un. 

No comments:

Post a Comment