Saturday 31 December 2011

That was the year that was 2011

So its the last day of 2011 and its been a bit of a mixed bag this year, some good things and some not so good things went on this year for me.

On the plus side I did a few more little bits of acting with the Ramshorn just before its untimely closure, although the STG still carries on without the bulding.  But when I was there I got involved in a couple of the a la carte events, the first being the comedy one which I did the Python argument sketch with the great Will Spiers, which was a lot of fun and we got alot of people request to see our sketch at the time, and despite a few loose goes, we eventually got it right and it was fun to do.  The second one later on in July was Shakespeare at Large, which was a collection of scenes performed by actors from various plays written by the bard.  In this event I did a scene from Measure for Measure, whom I played the Duke, the main part, as it was only one scene, it was alot of fun to do, and I sprouted some heavy facial growth for it too!

I also have this year gained a new addiction as I have become an absolute tennis nut, and I have been avidly watching and following all the tennis matches on both the mens and ladies tours.  This year has seen the emergence of Novak Djokovic, who has risen his game to the highest level and has become the new world no.1 in the process.  I also have managed to go and see a few live matches at the Braehead Arena, where Great Britain have played two ties against Hungary and Luxembourg and emerged triumphant in both.  It was also great to see the British No.1 in the flesh, Andy Murray, and you really appreciate how good he is when he is live.  And of course if you look at this blog, its about 85% all tennis!

I also managed to keep up with my IT qualifications through Whitebox Digital based in Rutherglen, and also with Routes to work south, who are based out in Rutherglen. So I have done my CompTIA A+ and Network+ certifications, and I am currently still in the middle of doing the Windows 7 exams.  Whether or not this will lead somewhere remains to be seen, but it has kept me busy.  Although unfortunately I did have the mispleasure of working briefly out at Teleperformance based in Airdrie, where I was going to be a tech support guy working with Virgin media  However I found the job was very stressful and wasn't quite for me so I ended up qutting it after the first four days.  And as usual in these jobs, you don't so much get support, or proper training, you get bombarded with facts and background info and are expected to just ask and get on with it.

Another low this year for me has been unemployment in between Whitebox and Routes to work, and of course RTWS is training for work which is basically not employment, but training, so the lack of money has been a pain.  On a personal level I have also had to deal a few personal anxieties, where I went and spoke to someone about it (a heid doctor basically) as I was having almost agoraphobic reactions out in wide spaces.  I could get out and about, but when I was walking down a street or in a big spacious place, like say George Square and Central Station, I would feel anxious and a bit panicked and felt like I needed to keep walking to get away from it.  It wasn't the most pleasant of feelings, but thankfully I feel they have mostly gone away, but I also sometimes think the acting had sparked this anxiety, as it was like being in front of an audience for the first time in a big room, you feel exposed and like there is nowhere to hide.  So it wasn't the most pleasant of times dealing with this, however, in time things get better and you move on from it.

And of course on a personal level I think confidence is one of the areas that I need to work on for next year, and it has to be said there is nothing worst for someone's confidence than being unemployed and not having something to occupy your time.  But things sooner or later sort themselves out.

Sooooooooo that was 2011, not the best of times, but not the worst either.  So here's to 2012 being a better and brighter one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment