Tuesday 12 April 2011

The dangers of Facebook

I've been on the popular social networking site Facebook for almost two years now, and it can be a lot of fun to use, you can use it to hook with some new people and make friends and also it keeps you updated on social events etc.

But there are times where it can feel quite invasive, you have to be careful about what you post up on it and sometimes you can find yourself opening a can of worms.  One seemingly harmless quote or post can be taken the wrong way or can lead a big argument between Facebook friends, and quite often I feel I need to be wary of what I might post myself.  It can be fun to post up about your day, but when you meet with people and they ask how what you did went, it almost makes you forget that you did it, and that makes you suddenly think "shit, I wonder if should have let people know that!".  As an example in work one of my colleagues caught me going on my Facebook page and as a result they asked me to add them in, which is fine, but it can be a bit embarrassing at times, as then they can access all your info on the page, see embarrassing past photos (e.g. a pic of me when I did Abigail's Party where I grew a big tache for it!  I went pure red when they saw the pic lol!).    

I also know some Facebook friends who have closed their accounts now and then either to get away from potential social awkwardness or annoyances or for other personal reasons, as despite the fun of it, it can also be a stressful tool if used or taken in the wrong way.  Other times people can use it as a direct means to get in touch with you maybe when it doesn't suit you which can also be a bit annoying.  But I guess therein lies the hypocracy for users of Facebook, if they use it often they must expect people to get in touch with them, even if it is at an inconvient time.

It can also at times bring out a different side in peoples personalities, as when you meet someone in person you think "they are a nice person" but when they go online and you post to them, they sound like a different person entirely, and at times not in a good way, in fact I think it can bring out the worst in people at times!  When people can hide behind their words I guess that is when they can say what they either really mean or say what they want to say but not in person.  And I won't say anything in particular but there are some people on Facebook that can get on my tits!!!  Which again highlights the negativity of the site itself, it opens as what Peter Mannion from the tv comedy The Thick of It said "the shit room".  

Anyway regardless of that Facebook can be fun and a good social outlet, but it can be one you have to be weary of.  In a way also like this Blog, I use it as a private diary in a way, but I also realise other people can read it too, so I have to be even careful of what I put in this post too!  But I'm not pointing the finger at any one person though, this is just a generalisation of my thoughts on Phizogbook and social network sites in general, so use them with care, its like safe sex with condoms, one might get through! ;-) 

And on that thought I will say nae more (cause I've said enough!).

No comments:

Post a Comment