Sunday 10 April 2011

Goaf and T

Just watched a little bit of the US Masters Golf from Augusta Georgia, the UK, or Ireland's great white hope (so to speak) Rory McIlroy, was in the lead by -11 up until yesterday but today he's had a sad reversal of fortune, and has dropped to -5 under par, so his chances of winning the Masters has gone.  It reminds me of another British player of a certain other sport I can't stop yacking on about, i.e. Mr A Murray, it sounds like he has folded under the pressure of the event, which is a real shame.  So at the end of the tournament, McIlroy dropped to -4 having lost a huge 8 stroke lead, with the South African player Charl Schwartzel taking the green jacket and the championship.  Well that's golf and that's life.

I vaguely know the feeling as I used to regularly play golf, and the literal truth of golf is when you go out to play no two days are ever the same.  One day you might go out and play really well and other days you will play like shit.  Not that I ever could claim to be anywhere near a good player, cos I wasn't as I just played for the fun of it, and now and then I still get a game (in fact I was hoping to get one today, but my Dad's course was booked full alas, lovely sunny day too!).  In fact I was so naff at golf that I usually could never get a par, I've probably only had about 3 or 4 pars in my life, having played at Dumbarton Golf Club for almost 8 years on and off now, the best I usually managed is regular bogies or double bogies, 5s and 6s at the par 4s, which is ok I guess, in fact I was quite pleased when I got that!  But again after time I could hit my drives quite well, got decent distance, and every now and then I could play a decent fairway game too, but my short game was where it fell down, approaching the green was always a bloody nightmare lol!!!  Despite that golf is always fun and definitely the most enjoyable game I've pertaken in playing.

Right now some of the "T" stuff.  I was following the Charleston Family Circle Cup final tonight as Caroline Wozniacki faced off the unseeded Russian player Elena Vesnina.  As predicted Caroline won the match, but to be fair although it was a straight sets win, it was not a bad final, Vesnina made Caroline work for it a bit, pushing long rallies and pushing her shots out wide to make the World No 1 run for it, the final result being 6-2 6-3.  I was hoping for a tighter final though as Caroline had quite a tough journey to get there.   As in her path to get there she had two real battles against firey tempered Barbara Zahlavova-Strycova which went to a tight two set tiebreak 7-6 7-6, and the other which must have been the match of the tournament against Yanina Wickmayer, which went to 4-6 6-4 6-4 for Caz.  But overall I'm starting to become more impressed by Caroline Wozniacki, she is world no.1 and yeah okay she hasn't won a slam yet, but I think its just a matter of time for her, more so than Andy Murray.  Caroline who is only 20 years old has already won 15 titles, which by any standard is very impressive indeed, mentally she is also very strong, and if she has a minor tantrum, it passes and she gets on with it, and overall she's got the game and the tennis, so I've got to take my hat off to her (if I had one).  She also believes she can win one, as with Andy he's not so certain, but she too will have to hold her nerve in the events, which is easier said than done. 

Anyways Andy Murray faces Monte Carlo Rolex Masters this week, and in his bye into the 2nd round, he will face either Marcos Baghdatis or wildcard Radek Stepanek.  And the winner of the match was Stepanek, which could be good news for Andy as he has a 3-1 win-loss ratio with Stepanek, but it could still be a tough match for Andy, so he will have to be on the top of his game for the 2nd round, the only trouble is we don't know what state his game will be in.  But Andy has also said that he ensured he got a good start before the clay season began as he practised for two weeks on clay courts after his defeat at Miami, I hope it pays off for him to some extent.  So its about time he had a bit of luck thrown his way, and it would be a further damning shame to see him lose 5 matches in row since January.  So here's hoping Andy, all the best for you m'lad, I'll post up more after his match with Stepanek which will be on Wednesday 13 April, so fngers and toes crossed, fifth time lucky!!!  And on a weird note of conicidence Rafa and Andy both haven't won a title for 6 months, very strange eh??? But I'm sure this one will have Rafa's name on it.  

OK I'll keep it fairly short and stop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment