Tuesday 22 March 2011

A+ Plus A Schmlus and money that never sleeps

On Thursday I'm going to sit my last A+ certification exam, the Practical Applications one, which I'm hoping to pass, as I've been reading the material for over 10 weeks now, so I'm getting a bit bored of reading the same stuff over and over.  I was hoping to do it last week, but with the viral infection I had last week, it put an end to that.  Regardless I hope I can't get it out the way and move onto the next one, Network+, which is another CompTIA course. 

It'll be good to move onto the Network+ stuff as I feel I need a refresher with my network stuff, the A+ covers small parts of it, but this course will go more in depth.  I expect it will be a challenge, as I haven't done any network stuff since my Cisco semesters over 2 years ago, which I frankly hated, as they were so goddamn difficult, but after 2 years of study and classes I managed to pass out, but of course I don't have the certificate for the CCNA, which would take months more study and probably a mental freakout in the process, due to the very high pass mark required.  But I can worry about that another day, right now its all about getting these courses done and trying to get some work experience on the go.

I haven't seen much films wise of late (well anything new that is) but one film I recently watched was the sequel to Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, which sees the return of Michael Douglas as the slimy Gordon Gekko.  The film's other main character is Jake Moore (Shia LeBeouf) who is the fiance to Gekko's daughter Winnie (Carrie Mulligan), who despises her dad as he went away to jail for insider trading and fraud.  With Gekko released from jail years later, he aims to rebuild his financial empire slowly, and befriends Jake so he can get back on good terms with his daughter Winnie.  Jake also wants help getting revenge for the death of his boss Lou Zabel (Frank Langella) who's business went under due to a rival business tycoon Bretton (Josh Brolin).  For a sequel to such a solid original, I expected Money Never Sleeps to be a disappointment, but I was pleasantly surprised as it was actually a pretty good film.  Michael Douglas is good as ever in his Gekko role, playing Gekko with a more wisened sense, and still has the ability to manipulate situations to his advantage.  Shia LeBeouf is also similarly quite good as the young Jake Moore, and an impressive aspect of his character is his moral conviction in trying to sort out what's right and wrong.  The only weak link for me was Carrie Mulligan, who was pretty inaffectual in her role and she didn't really cut it as Gekko's daughter, perhaps she should have been cast as someone more feisty like Mary Elizabeth Winstead.  But overall it was a good sequel to the original and is well worth a watch.

Oh and did you notice this post has no tennis in it??? Impressive eh? 

And on that note I will stop right there!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment